[Japanese name = Mukashi-Hasami-Mushi]
Photo by K. Kohno (at Yaku-shima Island, Kagoshima pref., Japan)
Family Pygidicranidae [Japanese family name = Muna-Boso-Hasami-Mushi Ka]
Original description: Challia fletcheri Trans. ent. Soc. Lond 1904: 286.
Japan: Yaku-shima Island, Otoko-jima Island [New!]; Another countries: China, Korea
This species has been long known only from Yaku-shima Island, which is located in northernmost part of the Southwest Islands of Japan (ca. 30°N 130°E), in Japan. Recently the species is newly recorded from Otoko-jima Island of Danjo-gunto Islands (ca. 32°N 128°E).
Specimens of this species in Japan have been obtained only in moutainous area of Yaku-shima and Otoko-jima Islands.
Seasonal Life History
Seasonal life history of this species is unknown because only very few specimens have been obtained to date.
Comments by Kohno
I have seen this species on Yaku-shima island. This species seemed to be nocurnal, because this species could be seen only in the night.
- Adachi, K., 2003. Insects collected on Danjo-gunto Islands (part I). Shin Tsukushi no Konchu (7): 41-74. [New!]
- Entomological Laboratory, Fuculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University and Japan Wildlife Research Center, 1989. A check list of Japanese insects, I. (Y. Hirashima ed.) Entomological Laboratory, Fuculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, Fukuoka and Japan Wildlife Research Center, Tokyo, 540 pp.
- Shiraki, T., 1928. Dermaptera aus dem Kaiserreich Japan. Insecta Matsumurana 3:1-25.
- Sakai, S., 1985. Dermapterorum Catalogus. XVI-XVIII: 718-719.
- Steinmann, H., 1989. World Catalogue of Dermaptera. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 934pp.
- Yoon, I.-B. and T.-Y. Moon, 1996. Habitats and Distribution of Rare Endangered Earwigs Challia fletcheri Burr in Korea. Korean J. Entomol. 26: 403-409.
last updated in February 2005